Last week, as part of our immersion on ‘conflict’ we were introduced to the term Restorative Justice and how we could use some of the techniques within school.
‘Restorative processes bring those harmed by crime or conflict and those responsible for the harm, into communication, enabling everyone affected by a particular incident to play a part in repairing the harm and finding a positive way forward.’
There are five main questions which help direct the sessions
- What happened?
- What were you thinking at the time?
- How were you feeling at the time?
- Who has been affected by what has happened?
- What needs to happen to put things right?
- Key Questions – How did you feel during the session? What did you learn? How could you use these techniques in everyday situations? What is the benefit of this system over the traditional approaches?